Header Photo by Natthiti Ampriwan
Akha Ama Coffee
Social Entrepreneurship Grant (SEG) Programme Grantee: Lee Ayu Chepa
• First social entrepreneur awarded with a grant by the Social Entrepreneurship Grant Programme (SEG) designed by A2B Philanthropy. He was 24 years old at the time.
• After less than 1 year, Akha Ama Coffee had already covered its initial investment costs and was already generating income. In its third year, they have recently open a second coffee shop.
• It supports more than 21 community members enrolled in the coffee village association (a member household has an average of 4 to 9 persons); employs 5 staff including international interns; has regular volunteers joining from all over the world and is planning the opening of a coffee Academy for the ethnic tribes youth.
• Its coffee has been presented in 2010, 2011, 2012 World Cup Tasters Championship and each time selected out of 2,500 entries as one of the best and unique ethnic coffee by Specialty Coffee Association of Europe.
• In October 2012, Akha Ama was chosen by BE Magazine in Thailand as “the social enterprise of the month”.
• Lee Ayu Chepa’s “socially empowered” enterprise has had extensive media coverage in Wall Street Journal, Bangkok Post, Citylife Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Mail as well as in the National Geographic TV channel documentary, PBS Thailand and BBC Travel.